When you are working on a swing change the inconsistency of being able to hit the ball the way you’d like or create the shot shape you’re working toward can be frustrating. Did you know that your mental game can help you assimilate a swing change faster and easier?
The best learning takes place in an environment devoted to learning off the course — an environment where it’s okay to make mistakes, hit loopy shots, and micro-manage your mechanics without negative repercussions to your score. That place is on the range.
If during a training period in your game you choose to spend some time on the course, you have to also maintain the right environment there to learn and grow. This means leaving your score out of it.
If you want to make changes to your swing and get the most out of your lessons with your swing coach, you must have a training plan that consists of specific rules to help you make progress.
Part One of your plan, which I cover in this episode, centers around the rules associated with creating a great training environment for your work on the range. In the next episode, I will talk about how you can play when you are in a training phase.
Be sure to grab your free copy of the worksheet for this episode below.
Here’s how this episode plays out…
- [9:01] Rule #1: Set Aside Time to Train – It’s important to give yourself pressure-free time and space to learn and grow. This means staying off the course.
- [10:06] Rule #2: Embrace the Growing Pains – Making changes means moving outside your comfort zone and that can sometimes be a bit painful. You have to recognize that it’s the price you pay for progress.
- [11:04] Rule #3: Lead with Patience and a Positive Attitude – Negativity slows the learning process by bogging your brain down with irrelevant distractions. Positivity paves the way to improvement.
- [12:13] Rule #4: Keep Your Goals Small and Incremental – Avoid trying to bite off more than you can possibly accomplish by prioritizing what one thing you need to focus on changing first.
- [13:17] Rule #5: Be Mindful of Your Position on the Journey – Success doesn’t happen overnight and it takes time to develop new habits in your swing. Instead of focusing on what’s not working, appreciate where you’re going.
- [14:27] Episode Summary – Just want a quick synopsis of the 5 rules, you will find them here.
If you have any questions about how to apply any of these rules to your game, please join me for my next Ask Me Anything Live Q&A Session inside my Facebook group. I show up live every Tuesday at 11:00 am ET and I’d be happy to help you advance your game. To join this free group, head on over to PLAY GREAT GOLF on Facebook.
Don’t forget to download your free workbook by clicking the image below >>>>>>>>>>
Rate, Review, & Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
“I love Shannon and She Talks Birdie.” <– If that sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more golfers — just like you — to improve their mental game so they can experience more consistency, more confidence, and loads more fun. Click here, then click on “Listen on Apple Podcasts” and a new window opens, scroll down and click on “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!
Also, if you haven’t done so already, subscribe to the podcast. If you’re not subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out. Subscribe on iTunes here!
Subscribe where you listen to your favorite podcasts now!